- Double check your booking before completing the checkout process.
- Only adults over 18 may make a booking.
- Bookings are per person.
- The time you book is the time your session will start.
- All participants must pre-book and pay online, you will not be able to turn up and pay or amend your booking when on site.
- Changes to bookings can be made through the “My Account” page on the website.
- No cancellations/refunds will be processed within 24 hours of the start date.
- This course is suitable for ages 8-16
- If you are late for your session you will be allowed on site but you will only be on the water for the remainder of your booked time slot, you will not receive a refund.
- No spectators
- All equipment will be supplied including wetsuits and buoyancy aids. All kit will be thoroughly cleaned in between use.
- Each session will have a maximum of 6 participants at a time to make social distancing more manageable.
- The building, changing and toilet facilities will be open in a limited capacity. If you can arrive ready to go on the water that would be appreciated and will speed up changing times.
- Do not arrive more than 5 – 15 minutes before your start time, this allows the previous group to leave.
- Please park responsibly.
- Your instructor will meet you outside and advise on where to assemble.
- Once on the water be respectful of others, it is your responsibility to social distance.
- You will have to leave the site straight after your session has finished to allow the next group to arrive.
Please do not attend if you or anyone in your household are showing any symptoms of Covid-19.
All normal lake rules apply on top of everything stated above if you need reminding of them follow this link
All of these procedures will be under constant review and we reserve the right to alter them at any time.
RYA Youth Stages
2 day course from 8.00am to 4.00pm
The RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Stages 1-4 are aimed at participants from 8 – 16 years old to progress through their sailing journey from complete beginner to competent sailor.
Here at Horseshoe Lake Activity Centre sailors will be taught in a range of sailing dinghies specific to the sailor’s needs and course syllabus. Sailing dinghies include Toppers, Laser Picos, Topper Topazs.
RYA Youth Stage 1
No prior sailing experience necessary, the two day course will include Launching and recovery, steering, parts of the boat, basic sailing. After the course the sailor should be able to steer and understand basic principles.
RYA Youth Stage 2
Prior experience should be an RYA Youth Stage 1 or equivalent knowledge, the two day course will include basic sailing skills, ropework, collision avoidance. After the course the sailor should be able to tack and control boat speed, and understand basic principles.
RYA Youth Stage 3
Prior experience should be an RYA Youth Stage 2 or equivalent knowledge, the two day course will include rigging, launching and recovery, sailing techniques, capsize recovery, sailing theory. After the course the sailor should be able to launch and sail a dinghy around a triangle in moderate conditions.
RYA Youth Stage 4
Prior experience should be an RYA Youth Stage 3 or equivalent knowledge, the two day course will include rigging, launching and recovery, sailing techniques and manoeuvres in crewed boats, recovering a man overboard. After the course the sailor should be able to launch and return to a beach, jetty or mooring, and sail a crewed dinghy around a triangle in moderate conditions.
Kit list for all courses
- Packed lunch
- Closed toe shoes (old trainers are fine however there are a small selection of wet shoes available to buy in the centre for £6.50)
- Swimwear (to wear under a wetsuit which we will provide or bring your own!)
- Towel and warm dry change of clothes (for after)
- RYA Youth Sailing Scheme Logbook (this will have been issued on the RYA Stage 1 course)
If you do not find a date that is suitable or would like to know which course is best for you please contact the centre.
Disclaimer: Horseshoe Lake reserves the right to cancel or change dates due to lack of participants or adverse weather conditions.